Friday, January 25, 2013

The Girl who Ate Everything

I knew from my research to expect Brooklyn to be hungry from the steroid dexamethasone she was taking as part of her chemo treatment. I knew that it would be a ravenous uncontrolable hunger. I had no idea that it would completely take over my life. These days much time is spent in the kitchen making pizza, serving pizza or cleaning up after pizza. She wakes up begging for pizza and goes to bed in the very same state. When I finally put the pizza in front of her she looks almost relieved. Scarfing down each and every bite and then typically asking for more.

I realize that this may not be the healthiest diet, however the days leading up to the diagnosis, her appetite had been reduced to almost nothing. I'm conceding to the pizza because I'm just happy to see her eat right now. Perhaps in a week or two I'll attempt to steer her in a more healthy direction. But for now, my precious baby, who hasn't gained an ounce in six months is eating, and is loving eating, and damn it I'll take whatever I can get at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment