Friday, January 25, 2013

Weren't we just here?

The answer is yes! We were just here. Just ten days before our sweet Brooklyn was diagnosed with leukemia we were bringing our second baby girl home from the hospital after a rather lengthy stay in the NICU. She was born 7 weeks premature. Prior to her arrival I spent a week in the high risk maternity unit after being diagnosed with a dangerous liver disease. Needless to say after all of that I was feeling pretty confident that we had filled our dramatic family event quota for the year. I was sorely mistaken.

To most people, it would seem a bit unfair that a single family should encounter so much trauma in such a short amount of time, and they would be correct. It sucks big time. I'd much rather be sitting at the park, still big and pregnant, watching my pixie headed two year old tromps around the playground getting dirty. Instead I'm holed up in my house under quarantine during one of the worst flu seasons to date with a 5 pound one month old and an immunosuppressed toddler.

It would be easy to sit in my confined state and dwell on the way things should be, and I'd honestly be lying if I said I hadn't sobbed over a glass of wine at least a few times in the week since Brooklyn's diagnosis, but I'm reasonable enough to know that this is not at all productive. Wallowing is not going to help my preemie catchup developmentally and it sure as hell isn't going to save Brooklyn's life. If the news is bad enough, then cry, get it all out. But after that, pick yourself up and figure out what needs to be done next.

The silver lining here is that I'm not entirely sure that I would have been able to care for Brooklyn during this time if I were just a week away from having Indie. Instead I am lucky enough to have both of my girls, safe and sound under one roof and in my arms. Always look for the silver lining. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment