Friday, February 15, 2013

The Best Thing I've Ever Heard. Ever.

Will you marry me.

It's a girl.

You got the job.

In this order, these are the three greatest things I have ever heard. Until today, that is. Today I was informed that Brooklyn's bone marrow shows no signs of cancer.

Brooklyn is in remission.

For the first time since we landed at Children's I walked the halls with a huge smile on my face. I probably looked like an idiot.  When I got on the elevator I didn't even press the button. I just stood there with a dopey grin on my face. Then Brooklyn shrieked something about a grilled cheese sandwich at me and I realized we hadn't moved in five minutes.

Other good things?  Brooklyn gets to take a week long break from any medications before we start the second phase. Her ANC (immune system) went from 240 to 3500 (anything between 500 and 1000 is considered good). She is no longer neutropenic. All of her blood counts were within normal range. We can leave the house again.

AND

NO MORE STEROIDS!!!

We still have a long road ahead of us. ALL is an insidious disease and without further treatment will absolutely return. Brooklyn will continue chemotherapy over the next two years.  But this week we are celebrating. This is a victory for her, for us, and I am so proud of her strength.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! Love you all bunches! Cinda Mom Safta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear Brooklyn is in remission. I really enjoy reading your blog. It makes me feel close to you guys even though we are physically very far apart. Thanks for sharing such personal things with us. Love you---Deekie.

    ReplyDelete